I have dropped the domain historiesmysteriesandstrangeness.com and reverted back to the original domain of histmyst.blogspot.com. However, you will also be able to reach the site via historiesmysteriesandstrangeness.guvna.net or just simply hms.guvna.net.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The UFO Hunters Petition

I just found out today that one my favorite shows, UFO Hunters, was cancelled. Up until now I just thought they were in a break between seasons. Apparently it was just cancelled though.

This sucks because it was one of the few TV shows that I enjoyed watching regularly and I'd make a point to watch it. I did find out that UFO Magazine is doing a petition to get the show back on the air. If you've ever watched it and enjoyed it, I recommend you go sign the petition. This was one of the few TV shows that took the UFO phenomena seriously. If you've never seen it but have even a passing interest in UFOs, I recommend you go find an episode online or look for a rerun on TV. And sign the petition!

Go here to see the announcement: http://www.ufomag.com/

Go here to sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/uf0hunt/petition.html

----The rest of this post is just going to be me ranting about this.----

I'm not just annoyed because a show I liked was cancelled, but because most of the shows on the History Channel now don't interest me. At one time, the History Channel was one of my favorite channels. What has happened to the History Channel? It seems they have gotten to much into the "reality" craze. Here's a list of a few of the History Channel's current shows:

  • Ax Men: A reality show about a few logging companies in the Northwest that videotapes the loggers on the job.
  • Ice Road Truckers: A reality show about truck drivers who drive on icy roads for a living.
  • Pawn Stars: A show about owners of a pawn shop wheeling and dealing for interesting items that customers bring in (this show is actually mildly interesting to me, but it's not something that I would make a point to watch).
These shows don't really even have much to do with history. Pawn Stars does at least show some historical items, but the other two shows don't really seem to have much to do with history to me. I really don't see why shows like these would even be made into a regular series. I could see these topics being covered in a one time documentary episode, or perhaps even a miniseries...but a regular series with multiple seasons? The Discovery Channel even has a show called American Loggers that appears to be a show like Ax Men (I've never actually watched the show, but it looks like the same thing). Is there really a need for TWO of these shows?

Now at this point someone may say that UFO Hunter's was a reality show and didn't have anything to do with history. Well...there's some truth to that, but not entirely. While the UFO Hunters did occasionally investigate fairly recent UFO sightings, a lot of the sightings they investigated were historical UFO sightings. The format was sort of a hybrid of documentary film style and reality style. Nevertheless...I thought this show was much more interesting than the stuff they are showing now.

A few of their other shows are somewhat interesting, but none of them are shows I would go out of my way to see. One of the Discovery Channel's shows, The Colony, I think is an interesting concept for a reality show, but I haven't been able to get interested in it. Basically it's a reality show that has put a group of people into a setting that's supposed to be a post-apocalyptic era, and they are supposed to try and survive. The thing is though...they know they are a on a TV show...so what do they really have to worry about in the long run? The Colony is an example of a show I'd like to be a part of, but just don't care to watch.

So bring back UFO Hunters!

3 comments:

  1. I signed the petition. Jeez, that totally sucks! This was the best UFO show that's ever been on TV and these guys had access to info and technology and scientists in a way Ghost Hunters doesn't do. I could just bawl like a baby! I wish another channel would pick them up, like sci-fi, but they'd probably hose it up with bad effects and cheesy production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was wondering if another channel could pick it up. Syfy would probably be a good one to pick it up. For now though, the UFO Hunters webpage still exists on history.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Jeff. UFO Hunters was a cool show, very balanced, but mysterious.

    ReplyDelete