I have dropped the domain historiesmysteriesandstrangeness.com and reverted back to the original domain of histmyst.blogspot.com. However, you will also be able to reach the site via historiesmysteriesandstrangeness.guvna.net or just simply hms.guvna.net.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Vintage Christmas Pictures

I have a Tumblr blog where I post black and white photos that I colorize or color slash (where only part of the picture is colorized).  I did some Christmas ones, so I decided to post the vintage ones here as well.  I will post the original picture along with my colorized version.

The first one is a picture from Broadway in 1902, with a color splashed Santa who appears to be taking donations for something, possibly the Salvation Army.  Found this picture at a website called Papa Ted’s Place, although I think the image originally comes from Shorpy.



The next one is also from somewhere in New York in 1924.  I thought it was a bit odd that Santa was being helped by a clown.  I'm not sure if there is any significance to that or not.  I did a few color splashes of this one as well as a fully colorized version.  The image was found at Shorpy (as well as on Papa Ted’s Place).






This last one was found on the Ghosts of History Facebook page.  Here is the description:

“Santa Claus (Leading Aircraftman Fred Fazan from London) hands out presents to Dutch children at Volkel, 13 December 1944. Members of No 122 Wing had saved their sweet ration for weeks, and contributed enough money to give the children their first proper Christmas party. It was noted by the photographer that this year Santa was afraid of Messerschmitts, so he decided to come by RAF Tempest!”





Here's one that should be familiar to a lot of people; a scene from It's a Wonderful Life, one of the most popular and well known classic holiday movies.  I color splashed the actors.



You can see more vintage Christmas pictures at Shorpy.  Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment